Monday, November 3, 2008

Pin It

Going, going, gone! (home, hopefully)

Big news today:

A new fundraising venture! At present, there are a couple of fundraising efforts already underway. The goal is somewhere around $12,000, a breathtaking sum. It might be more or less; so far, however, I have already paid over $7,000 for legal counsel alone.

First, I have asked for direct donations, and so far, they total $1750. There is a paypal account and a special account at Royal Bank.

Second, a very kind offer came along a few weeks ago, which was posted on the Facebook Save Brindi page. Until November 8 (extended from the fifth), a jewelry company in Montreal called "Love, Montreal" is donating 15% of sales to the fund. The designer herself volunteered this generous offer, and the jewelry is very pretty indeed, with semi-precious stones and silver.

There is talk of a possible benefit concert, which would be absolutely wonderful. I'm crossing my fingers for that to work out.

And today, a third new venture begins: an online auction at epier.com!

Three items are already posted, and more are on the way. Donations are very welcome!Anything from a toy to a yoga class is welcome! We can even auction off dogwalking services, or dogsitting, or training, by the hour, if someone is so disposed.

The first item is a weeklong stay next June at a beautiful lakeside cottage not far from the South Shore, on Nine Mile Lake. There is also a Royal Doulton figurine, and an antique model train set. All you have to do is click here to see them:
ePier Button
And if you have anything around the house that you've never really used, that somebody else might like, why not add it to the auction? All that is needed is a brief description of the item, a ballpark price, and if possible, an image. Once the item is sold, the shipping costs will be paid by the buyer, and you'll be assisted in all the arrangements.
You don't need to live anywhere near Halifax, Nova Scotia, in order to donate to the auction. I only need the information and an image. You ship it directly to the buyer when it's over, and the buyer pays for shipping. The listing includes a city location so bidders can estimate the cost. Theoretically, this auction could be span the globe -barring currency differences.
What would be really helpful for the auction is for people to send the word around. That way there's a greater chance of finding caring bidders. I'm learning as I go, so this is a big experiment right now. And I'm really excited to see how it does!
Meanwhile, I have to figure out how to warm up my frozen pipes, so I can take a shower... Canadian Tire, here I come.

2 comments:

  1. You have come up with some great ideas... have you tried going door to door with a neighbourhood petition? Put flyers at all your local grocery stores, post offices, pharmacies, or any other place you can think of with community posts.... get your friends to donate cans, takes awhile, but perhaps can get your friends (online as well) to collect them too. Get permission to put donation boxes in local stores as well...

    The best of luck with your efforts... see if your lawyer can help by opening up a trust account at your bank, or in trust with him.

    Rambo & I wish you success
    (Boxer Slurps)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eileen,
    Thanks for the praise and the ideas.
    I began with neighborhood petitions. I cannot effectively go door to door, it's not that kind of a place or that kind of a cause, really...
    I really began with letters from Brindi's neighborhood, got people to write about her, from nearby friends to the kennel owner and groomer. It was a project unto itself. I posted the letters on supportbrindi.com, and the originals are with the city. Did not seem to impress them all that much. Now that I know about other cases with humans getting bitten, it makes my head spin all the way around.
    I have two online petitions as well.
    It might be a good time to print some flyers to publicize the auction, if that's what you mean? But the virtue of the auction is that it doesn't require a lot of schlepping around. If you had my insomnia and other health issues, you'd do anything to avoid more schlepping.
    The back seat of my car is filled with signs, flyers, the banner, and even one collection can or two. I've only lived here a short time and I work at home so I don't have that many pals to begin with. The people helping me the most right now? They were total strangers three months ago. I love them dearly. Unfortunately, they don't live in my immediate neighborhood - Montreal is a bit of a hike, for instance.

    May I ask Why you suggest a trust account?

    Greetings to you and Rambo (some of my closest friends are boxer fans),

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Only users with Google accounts may post comments. Others may contact me via facebook.